Friday, January 20, 2012

Summery of Hank The Cowdog: Murder in the Middle Pasture


The pages are p. 1-120 it have ch. 1-12. I like this good book and it is by John R. Erickson and illustrations by Gerald L. Holmes. If you want to check out this book go to the library and pick it up.

It's me again, Hank the Cowdog. On December 19, we got a snow. On December 20, it snowed again. On December 21 the overflow of the septic tank froze up, making it impossible for me to bathe. By December 22 we had four inches of snow on the ground and fellers, it was cold. It was that morning, at approximately 9:00 o'clock, that I awoke from a deep sleep and noticed something very peculiar. My bed was shaking. My bed consisted of two old gunnysacks and under normal conditions it didn't shake.

I opened one eye, perked one ear, and I sniffed the air. In the security business we call this a preliminary scan. In other words, at that point I wasn't using all my sensory equipment. There's no sense in squandering your gifts, no matter how many you have. Well, I sniffed and I look and I listened. I smelled diesel fuel but I always smelled diesel in my bedroom because the tank on the north side leaked and the cowboys on our outfit were too lazy to fix it. Now, if they'd had a fuel leak in THEIR bedrooms, they would have fixed it pronto, but this was only Hank's bedroom so nobody was worried about it. Anyway, I sniffed and I look and I listened.

Long story short it wasn't nothing. The author and illustration biography said "John R. Erickson began writing stories in 1967 while working full time as a cowboy, farmhand, and ranch manager in Texas and Oklahoma-where two of the dogs were Hank and his sidekick Drover. Hank the Cowdog made his debut a long time ago in the pages of The Cattleman, a magazine about cattle for adults. Soon after, Erickson began receiving "Dear Hank" letters and realized that many of his eager fans were children. The Hank the Cowdog series won Erickson a Publishers Weekly "Listen Up" Award for Best Humor in Audio. He also received an Audie from the Audio Publishers Association for Outstanding Children's Series. The author of more than thirty-five books, Erickson lives with his wife, Kris, and their three children on a ranch near his boyhood home of Perryton, Texas. Gerald L. Holmes met John Erickson after moving to Perryton, Texas, a long time ago...and that's when Hank and his pals came to life for the first time in pictures. Mr. Holmes has illustrated numerous cartoons and textbooks in addition to the Hank the Cowdog series." In book 4 in 1988. To go to the website is http://www.hankthecowdog.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment