Thursday, February 9, 2012

Summary of Hank The Cowdog: Let Sleeping Dogs Lie


The pages are p. 1-135 it have ch. 1-12. I like this good book and it is by John R. Erickson and illustrations by Gerald L. Holmes. If you want to check out this book go to the library and pick it up.

It's me again, Hank the Cowdog. The night was dark and still, the air so heavy that I could taste it. And what I tasted was...MURDER!! Drover had stumbled onto the body, what was left of it, down by the creek just before dark. He sounded the alarm and I raced to the scene. In the last light of day, I conducted my usual thorough investigation. I caught him just as he was about to run for cover. Drover shivered and rolled his eyes.

I sent Drover off to scout the eastern quadrant of headquarters while I gave myself the more difficult job of checking out the western quadrant, which included the saddle shed, corrals, calf shed, and feed barn. As I groped through the inky blackness, I found myself worrying about Little Drover. What If he found the fiend? Or what If the fiend found him? I crept through the front lot, sweeping the territory in front of me with eyes that had been trained to see what ordinary eyes were unable to see. The wind stirred. No, the wind moaned. It moaned in the tops of the cottonwoods across the creek and cried through the pipes of the doctoring chute, and suddenly I heard a crash behind me.

Long story short I like it. The author and illustration biography said "John R. Erickson began writing stories in 1967 while working full time as a cowboy, farmhand, and ranch manager in Texas and Oklahoma-where two of the dogs were Hank and his sidekick Drover. Hank the Cowdog made his debut a long time ago in the pages of The Cattleman, a magazine about cattle for adults. Soon after, Erickson began receiving "Dear Hank" letters and realized that many of his eager fans were children. The Hank the Cowdog series won Erickson a Publishers Weekly "Listen Up" Award for Best Humor in Audio. He also received an Audie from the Audio Publishers Association for Outstanding Children's Series. The author of more than thirty-five books, Erickson lives with his wife, Kris, and their three children on a ranch near his boyhood home of Perryton, Texas. Gerald L. Holmes met John Erickson after moving to Perryton, Texas, a long time ago...and that's when Hank and his pals came to life for the first time in pictures. Mr. Holmes has illustrated numerous cartoons and textbooks in addition to the Hank the Cowdog series." In book 6 in 1989. To go to the website is http://www.hankthecowdog.com.

1 comment: